Match Report: Ammanford AFC 1-1 Trefelin BGC

Photo Credit: Craig Davies


Report by Ian Parfitt

Ammanford had to settle for a point at home to Trefelin in a frustrating encounter at the Rec on Friday evening.


Both teams took to the pitch in what was a clear colour clash of kits much to the bemusement of supporters.


The first quarter of an hour was a scrappy affair not made any easier by the fact that it was proving difficult to distinguish between both sets of players, a murky night and swirling drizzle not helping matters.


Trefelin took the lead in the 16th minute, Jack Bevan firing a cross ball high into the net past the despairing dive of home keeper Luke Martin.


Ammanford were struggling to get a foothold in the game and despite both dugouts requesting a shirt change the referee preferred to wait until half time. Ammanford grew slowly into the game and in the 37th minute Tristan Jenkins missed a good chance having been set up by Lewis Reed.


Reed then got the ball into the net only to have been adjudged offside by the linesman.Reed then hit the crossbar with a glancing header a minute later as Ammanford tried vainly to find an equaliser before half time.


Much to the relief of supporters, Ammanford took to the field in their red away shirt for the second half. The home team started the second half on the front foot. It did not waste any time getting level with top scorer Lewis Reed racing through the Trefelin defence in the 49th minute, lifting the ball over goalkeeper Lewis Gibbs and slotting the ball into an empty net.


Nic Arnold came close a couple of minutes later when his excellent lob from the right wing went narrowly over the bar. Midfielder Tom Pratt was the next Ammanford player to go close to scoring, rising well at a corner to send a solid header narrowly wide.


Ammanford were now pressing for a goal with Tristan Jenkins particularly threatening on the left wing and he was denied a goal when Gibbs saved well from a close-range shot. Pratt went close again with an excellent shot from outside the area before Adam Orme sent a thumping shot just wide as Ammanford were putting on the pressure.


Referee Teifion Cook turned down home appeals for a penalty in the 68th minute when Tristan Jenkins was sent sprawling in the area.


Trefelin were still a threat and it took an excellent low save from Luke Martin with a quarter of an hour left to keep his team level. Neither team were able to find a winner and both left the pitch with a point a piece. Ammanford will be disappointed that they did not take all three points on the balance of play.