Match Report: Ammanford AFC 0-1 Goytre United FC

Photo Credit: Adam Evans

A poor first half performance saw Ammanford AFC surrender their unbeaten home record at the expense of managerless Goytre United FC.


Ben Cripps’ effort from close range was enough to separate the sides on a night where Ammanford were mourning the passing of club legend Michael ‘Mikey Lew’ Lewis.


The visitors started the game the brighter and hit the woodwork twice in the opening twenty minutes.


Ammanford were struggling to create chances of their own and only Adam John’s effort wide of the post and Morgan Clarke’s effort from distance came anywhere close to troubling the scoring.


Goytre were the better side throughout the opening half and deservedly took the lead after thirty-eight minutes. A corner wasn’t dealt with by the home defence and Ben Cripps scrambled the ball home from close range.


The hosts started the second half with more intensity but were struggling to break down the organised and resolute Goytre United defence. In fact, Ammanford were indebted to Jack Lansdown for keeping the deficit to just one. A quick freekick found Keane Watts whose effort was brilliantly stopped by the legs of the ex-Llantwit Major stopper.


The chance spurred Gruff Harrison into a triple change with Mark Jones, Callum Thomas and Harry Huddart entering the fray. The changes made a difference as the home side started to create chances. Luke Probert did brilliantly to deny Jones before Tristan Jenkins broke through the defence but couldn’t poke his effort towards the goal.


In the final ten minutes, Ammanford were pushing for an equaliser. Harris’ header forced Probert into a fantastic stop whilst Liam Samuel and John saw efforts go narrowly wide of the target.


But despite waves of pressure and high balls being pumped into the penalty area in the closing stages, United stayed strong and earned their third victory of the campaign whilst ending the Black and White’s 100% record at the Recreation Ground.