Haverfordwest County 2-0 Ammanford AFC: Match Report


Ammanford’s soiree in the JD FAW Welsh Cup is over for another season after a battling 2-0 defeat away at top-flight Haverfordwest County.


The hosts scored two goals in the second half thanks to Ricky Watts and Martell Taylor-Crossdale as Ammanford were made to rue golden chances spurned just before the interval to claim a famous scalp in Pembrokeshire.


A Dan Hawkins header that sailed over the bar aside, the opening half of the first period passed off in a cagey manner with both sides looking to exploit their pacey wingers but getting little in exchange for their efforts.


The hosts were controlling the majority of the ball and went close through Hawkins’ header that Luke Martin saved with ease but Ammanford were sensing an opportunity to counter and went close through a pair of efforts. Lewis Reed’s deflected effort was diverted away from goal and Morgan Clarke’s curling shot from distance went close.


Just before the interval, the visitors had two golden opportunities to take the initiative. Tristan Jenkins danced through between Lee Jenkins and Oscar Borg in the home defence but could only fire wide before Reed broke the offside trap but rolled his effort inches past the post to send the sides in deadlocked at the break.


Five minutes into the second half, the Bluebirds took the lead. Substitute Watts found himself unmarked on the edge of the 6-yard area to power a header past Martin in goal.


The Bluebirds doubled their lead midway through the second stanza. A pass found its way to Taylor-Crossdale who found the bottom corner with a venomous effort.


Aside from Jenkins’ flick that was deflected for a corner and a couple of efforts from Liam Samuel, Gruff Harrison’s side were struggling to break down a well-organised Bluebirds defence. In fact, it was the visitors that came closest to getting the third goal of the game. Watts came close to completing his brace for the afternoon but Martin was equal to his header from the edge of the 6-yard box.


With five minutes to play, Ammanford came close to a glimmer of a late fightback as they forced keeper Ifan Knott into an acrobatic save. Tristan Jenkins struck a freekick beautifully from 25 yards out but the ex Carmarthen youngster was across his goal quickly to end Ammanford’s chances at a famous comeback and confirm the JD Cymru Premier side’s passage into the fourth round.