Match Report: Baglan Dragons 1-3 Ammanford AFC

Photo Credit: Mike Greenslade ActionTog4Ever


Ammanford made it four wins from four with an excellent performance against Baglan Dragons on a rainy afternoon in Neath Port Talbot. 


A brace from left back from Ellis Williams coupled with Lewis Reed’s 17th goal of the campaign set Ammanford on their way to a confident victory. However, the last minutes of the match were negotiated with nerves thanks to the dismissal of Liam Samuel and a consolation goal from Tom Randall. 


Gruff Harrison’s men started the game well and were ahead after just 17 minutes. Samuel’s corner met the head of Tom Pratt. The midfielder’s effort was blocked but straight into the path of Williams who notched his first in Town colours. 


The Black and Whites doubled their lead under ten minutes later. Morgan Clarke, who was making his 50th appearance for Ammanford played in Tristan Jenkins on the half way line. The winger, who himself was celebrating the special milestone of 100 outings for Town drove down the flank and crossed beautifully into the area onto the head of Reed who made no mistake from close range. 


The points were secured with twenty to play. Again, a corner from the left wing was the source of the danger. Keeper Matthew Stanton, who was on the score sheet the last time the two sides faced each other, punched the ball but unfortunately for him, straight into the path of Williams who gratefully put the ball into the back of the net. 


With ten to go, Ammanford had Samuel sent off for a second bookable offence and the Dragons made their numerical advantage count with five to go. The visiting defence failed to deal with a corner and Randall glanced the ball home.  


Baglan pushed forwards in the hope of completing a miraculous late turnaround but the defence, marshalled superbly by Man of the Match Nich Arnold held firm to send Ammanford third in the league just 6 points behind leaders Briton Ferry who visit the Rec next Saturday.