Match Report: Trefelin BGC 1-2 Ammanford AFC

Photo credit: Mike Greenslade


Ammanford maintained the pressure on the top two in the division with a battling 2-1 victory over Trefelin at Ynys Park. 


Lewis Reed’s first half effort followed by a late Mark Jones goal set Ammanford on their way before Declan Evans’ strike in added time set up a nervy finish.


However, it was the visitors who returned to Carmarthenshire with all three points and made it 6 wins in a row in the Second Tier. 


On a damp and cold evening in the Cwmavon valley, Ammanford shaded the opening exchanges without really testing Aaron Jones in the Trefelin goal.

All that changed halfway through the opening stanza as Town took the lead with their first clear cut chance of the night. Tristan Jenkins was released down the left hand side. The winger played an early cross into Lewis Reed who buried the opportunity low into the bottom corner to notch his 20th of the campaign. 


The goal buoyed the visitors and they only didn’t extend their lead thanks to a pair of saves from keeper Jones’ legs. Firstly from Jenkins before stopping Reed at point blank range.


Minutes before the interval, Gruff Harrison’s men had a strong shout for a penalty. Callum Thomas was brought down inside the area and despite loud pleas from the bench, the players and the sizable band of Town fans who’d travelled down the M4, referee Teifion Cook was unmoved. 


Trefelin, who had ended the first half more positively, started the second half in a similar manner and asserted pressure on the Town defence  by using their pacey options down the flanks to try and get a leveller. 


Despite this, it was Thomas who came closest to troubling the scoring again. After some superb play from substitute Mark Jones and John down the right, Thomas’ volley was inches wide of the target. 


The men from Ynys Park came within a whisker of equalising with a little over a quarter of an hour to go. A fantastic cross from the left hand side was met by 17 year old Dylan Edwards but his touch was marginally past Luke Martin’s near post.

Andy Hill’s charges were made to rue that missed opportunity as Ammanford finally broke the stubborn resistance they faced with seven to go. 


John crossed the ball into the path of Matthew Fisher. The sub miskicked his effort but thankfully, straight into the path of Jones who slotted it home into the bottom corner to give the Black and White’s a two goal cushion.


Despite looking comfortable, the final moments were anything but when the home side got a goal back. A rocket of a strike from distance from Declan Evans nestled its way into the back of the net. 


The hosts sensed an opportunity to get an unlikely point and threw everything at their counterparts. But a defence superbly marshalled by Luke Harris and Euros Griffiths stayed strong to secure a first victory over Trefelin this season in four attempts and our first against the Reds since 2021.